Sunday, March 7, 2010

Acadamy Awards, Thesis Prep, & A Serious Confession

Tomorrow I defend my thesis. I sit in a room with professors and peers and I'm asked what I did, why I did it, and expected to quote philosophers and theoreticians in order to prove that I know what I'm doing.

I've spent many hours over the last year, and even more tonight, pouring through philosophy and lit crit and autobiography theory looking for magical quotations that will define my intentions succinctly and attached to a name more promising than my own (See: Derrida. See: Barthes. See: Everyone but me.)

The result of all of this extra reading? Braindeadedness. I have little mental energy left at the end of each day and so end up watching bad shows, like LOST, or, as now, watching the Acadamy Awards while reading through my thesis and making notes about appropriation and talking to Dead People. (What? You didn't know I do that?)

I've seen some of the movies nominated, and not others.

Which brings me to my confession. The first time I heard Sandra Bullock was going to be in a football movie I just said "WTF?" And then never paid it any mind. Never saw the trailer. Didn't know anything about it except Sandra Bullock + Football.

Recently, however, I have seen the trailer. Several times over the course of the Acadamy Awards.

I confess, I want to see this movie. Every time I see the trailer my whole chest wells up and I get a little teary.

This could be more a result of thesis stress rather than the trailer, but I think the trailer also has something to do with it.

I also want to see Precious. That's not a confession. That seems reasonable.

I'm still not sold on Avatar.

And I'm disappointed in Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. Even though they wore a couple's snuggie! That was pretty great.

Tomorrow at 4pm I'm going to put on my oven mitts and talk about my poems from the perspective of a dragon. I'm a mythical creature. My poems are mythical creatures. Thesis Defense=Dragon Wars.

Food for thought: Dragons eating PB&J. Does the peanut buttered wonderbread stick to the roof of their mouth? If it's chunky, can they roast the peanuts by breathing fire?

Things just went icky. Sorry.

Dragons!

4 comments:

  1. I assume you RAWKED. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dead Acorn. I came out a little wounded, but triumphant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOO! Yeah, they do that just to let you know they're still in charge. Bastards.

    When do I get to buy you beers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hrm. It will be Friday or Sunday, probably. I assume you'll be around...I'll wait for AmandaB to give the official word...

    ReplyDelete