Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Repossession: Links

In honor of my evening last night, I shall build a post of links, repossessions. I shall harvest the organs of the interweb.

The last few days I have immersed myself in something that might seem... strange. The world of serial killings. While sewing books together I watched this and this. Then, instead of doing any number of productive activities, I made my way through all of Season 1 of this. All of these were remarkably good. They're so dark and morbid and funny and telling-- I mean, I love it when things that are so fucked up end up telling us more about ourselves and our culture and our humanity than almost anything else.

But then I moved onto movies that were less good. And let me tell you something. Anthony Stewart Head is a motherbleeping dragon.

I just watched this movie, with Paul Sorvino, Anthony Stewart Head (a la Giles from Buffy), the girl who played the daughter in Spy Kids, and a bunch of people I didn't recognize. It was so promising. A musical about organ harvesting, plus Giles who is goddamn sexy for an older man and has a phenomenal voice... usually.

I had been warned this movie wasn't as funny as it should have been, so much wasted potential. I blame, mostly, the writing. They should have hired Joss Whedon. That guy can write a musical. Snapples he is good.

Unfortunately, the music was less musical and more people talking to music. Anthony Stewart Head, as Repo Man, was less funny or campy and more... bad. But every once in a while he would roar, like a dragon, baring his teeth. That was kind of funny.

What the movie did have going for it was that, at moments, it was visually beautiful. Not all the way through--and frankly for a movie about organ harvesting could you really expect it to be?-- but at moments. In the way Pan's Labrynth got away with being gross and still kind of beautiful. Or the way The 5th Element was sort of futuristic and beautiful... The Genetic Opera was kind of gothic and beautiful.

Of course, then there was the guy with face flesh safety pinned to his face that was a little too reminiscent of this guy.

Tonight, instead of reveling in all of this horror I shall go see this with my fellow dragon blogger. Goodbye blood. Hello childhood.

No matter how good tonight is, it will never compare to watching this. Which hopefully I'll get to re-experience soon.

1 comment: