Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Seattle is the Pesto of Cities!

Ah Seinfeld... how you know the way to my heart...

You'd think, these end of semester days, that I'd be wiling my time away in some dark corner, working my pencils down to little nubs as I prepare to face the final... whatever... of each of my courses. But I don't know... I guess I did something right 'cause pretty much everything that I need to do, I've done. I've finished. Ta-da!

But everyone I know is busy working their pencils to little nubs and as such, I've been spending a whole lot of time in my living room, with my catdragon Frankie.

The last two days? Seinfeld. Brilliant. Last night, as George goes on a tirade about always ordering Pesto, even though he doesn't like it, because he feels like he ought to like it... and Elaine's one time fling is flying in from Seattle... Seinfeld tells me that Seattle is the Pesto of cities.

I like pesto. But I love Seattle. No, it isn't as big as other cities. I kind of don't mind. It has the Sound. And the market. And so much good food. And Open Books. And so much literary culture, generally.

I'm going home for 3 weeks here shortly, and as I look at Boise with it's negative 3 degrees, snow covered pavement, etc-- I am counting down the days. I will go to Open Books. I will eat so many good meals and drink coffee that doesn't come from Starbucks or Tully's. I will see my family. We will watch True Blood. I will go see NEW MOON with my mother. (Don't mock! Bad vampire movies have always been a pastime between us... Edward Cullen probably has nothing to do with it!) I will miss my catdragon Frankie. Even as I go to a couple poetry readings and even as I drink whiskey with my best friend from Kindergarten and even as I drive to Portland and get lost among the stacks of Powells. (So. Many. Books.)

In the interim? I'm hoping to make it to at least one cheap movie Tuesday, which will hopefully result in the "World's Most Engaging Dragon Post EVER." I plan to walk the Boise streets and yell "Dragon" to everyone I meet. I plan to philosophize on why, at the bottom of my blogger post field, the suggestions for "Labels for this post:" include the following "scooters, vacation, fall." Perhaps I will sleep in. I will most likely drink copious amounts of alcohol. I will probably do so while watching the Seahawks lose to the Texans.

At some point I should probably also buy Christmas presents for my parents and brother. For some reason this year, I can't think of a single thing that they could want. Ideas? Anyone? Anyone? Because I am at a loss.

...
These musings are brought to you by my employer, the ones who pay me to sit at this desk, though they don't know that they are paying me to write these posts.

These musings are also brought to you from the Aflac stuffed quacking duck that sits on my desk. And only god knows why.

1 comment: