Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dragon Rumpus

When AmberN told me that she was taking me to see a movie entitled "I Love You, Beth Cooper," I had no idea that I would end up doing some dragon high-speed flying to the nearest computer so Amber could not snipe my Beth Cooper thunder. The movie truly offered so, so much, and yet now, I sit here, and I simply cannot do this movie--nay, film--justice. I know Amber was taking some serious mental notes during the viewing--especially the parts involving racoons and magnum condoms (um, those are two different scenes) --so I will graciously back off and let Beth Cooper be all hers.

What I wanted to write about: life choices and my career path. I just watched Miller's Crossing and now I pretty much have decided to be a gangster.

(I should say that I get really nervous about the Coen brothers, because they are constantly tugging at my emotional heartstrings by not giving a shit about my emotional heartstrings. They aren't afraid to make mockeries out of their characters, nor are they afraid to kill them off, to the point where it's hard for me to watch some of their films. I realize this is probably my fault and not some sort of shortcoming on their part. But one time they made me believe that some dude with a haircut like a triangle was probably going to kill me with a blow gun, and that's something one can't really easily let go.)

I realize that getting sad when characters die is probably not a good sign if I am to embark on a career as a real gangster. Also, all of my gun knowledge comes from video games, specifically, GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. It's awkward with Perfect Dark because apparently half of the guns are alien guns and thus not real. I'd be in my trenchcoat and sporting my sweet hat and saying things like, "Whack him with your mauler," and maybe it just wouldn't work out. Back to the drawing board.

In any case, I think Gabriel Byrne joins my list of Hollywood boyfriends, along with Wall-E, Ron Weasley, and Paul Newman circa Hud and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. It was when Gabriel Byrne talks about nobody really knowing anybody, that I knew for sure that he was a dragon.

4 comments:

  1. Re: I love you Beth Cooper... my expectations were so high... but now I can't even remember more than you: racoons and magnum condoms. Which is sad.

    It was atrocious though. Truly, truly. Oh wait... I think I remember something about coked up army jerks & a hummer & a little gay boy who has a threesome with two hot chicks only to realize he's actually gay...

    Not even worth the dollar price of admission...

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least we had the previews to fawn over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many good movies forthcoming!

    And I remembered a classic I Love Beth Cooper moment... When the parents were parking, getting into some heavy petting, and daddy's phone went off on vibrate... so instead of answering it, he slipped between his lady's pants... creepy? Yeah. Definitely creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently reapers aren't real either. Ugh!

    Also: Wall-E? Really?

    ReplyDelete