Thursday, August 13, 2009

X-Men & the Rise of Gambit Kicking My Ass & Making Me Like It

So... first let me apologize to my fellow dragon poster-- I went without you, but, I will see it again in the upcoming week in apology.

That said... amidst the bad movie rage, let me say... this one very well might have taken the cake (if it wasn't for Hannah Montana, perhaps). The first 30 minutes were spent in the heat of confusion, trying to understand why a character whose name should be Logan is being called Jimmy (whether this is true to comic book form, I don't know, but also doubt). Eventually, things start making a sort of sense... but the whole movie is so full of kitchy die hard explosions that it's hard to take anything seriously-- even for a comic book movie.

The one saving grace? Well... it wasn't Hugh Jackman's performance... but rather the lonely 5 minutes in which Taylor Kitsch (a la Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights) appears as a sexy, swaggering, and all the right kind of sexy Gambit. With some beefed up powers from what I remember. I mean, that boy (for his short time on board) kicked some serious bad guy ass. And he looked oh-so-good doing it.

Otherwise, it was the nonstop laughter shared by my dear friend from out of state. We may have spent half the movie looking at each other, eyebrows a-raised.

Harry Potter followed this XMen escapade-- I have my questions about this (like, how I really did get sleazy for Ron Weasley-- and also mildly uncomfortable with all of the necking scenes.)But hey, there was one scene with a tiny dragon! It made the popcorn pop. Dragons have all kinds of skills.

School starts soon. Dragon sighs.

2 comments:

  1. And for more Taylor Kitsch... Friday Night Lights Season, the second, just arrived at the Library for me.

    Woo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh timmy riggins, how you shine in season two.

    ReplyDelete